Saturday, May 19, 2007

Overview Of Biolage Creation

So my efforts of attempting to create a Wikipedia article for Biolage have finally ended. Unfortunately, the result was not a successful one. However with this experience as with any, I did learn many things through the process. My first attempt consisted of me just putting down some basic information about Biolage, not having known of a particular format that should be used. My second attempt I then decided to keep the information but also add the link to the official Biolage website. I then checked on the article regularly to see what its fate would be. There was a soon a message that came up saying that the article needed to be further edited, and that it was going to delete it on the basis that it was like an advertisement. I assume this is because I included information about the product line, but that information was essential in an explanation. I made my last attempt yesterday, and I see that the article was already taken down. I definitely think the Wikipedia community saw my user name come up all the times I tried to publish the article and finally said no more.

Although this ending is not the one I forsaw at the beginning of the semester, it was a learning experience none the less. One thing I learned is that there are a lot of neccesary requirements to creating a new article on Wikipedia, and it is not as easy as it looks. One has to deal with copyright issues and proper citations, among other things. Another thing I learned is that Wikipedia community looks down upon articles that they just perceive to be advertisements for a specific brand or company. I do believe that this fact is comforting because the nature of Wikipedia is completely fact-based which neccesitates include objective information from both sides. This knowledge about Wikipedia is something I would have not learned unless I tried to create this article. So instead of including a link to my article (which does not exist) I am adding a link to a Wikipedia article actually about Wikipedia so you can learn about a lot of the things that I learned through this experience: Enjoy

2 comments:

Jamie Curtis said...

Hi Tricia! I'm doing a marketing launch plan for Biolage and came across your blog while researching. Is there any possibility that you could send me the article you wrote about the history of Biolage? That would be extremely helpful and much appreciated. Please e-mail me at jamiebond4@gmail.com. Thanks!

Sheila said...

Hi - if you were a freshman at upland high school, please email me - your friend sheila - mommychew at hotmail dot com