Thursday, May 17, 2007

Overview of Study Abroad Blog

Throughout this past semester I have been editing the Study Abroad article found on Wikipedia. It has been very interesting to see the reaction of the Wikipedia community to my edits. My first edit consisted of changing the history of study abroad, which was started at UD, by including some current figures of the number of programs our university offers. My second edit was adding to the section about why people study abroad, with my main point because just for the experience of living life in a completely new place and embracing a completely different culture. My last edit was in the Preparation section, where I included some facts about many universities instituting mandatory orientation programs so students studying abroad know what to expect when they arrive at their destination. The reaction I received was mostly positive.

To my first edit about # of programs, the community rephrased it to just make it sound like today there are many more programs, instead of keeping my numerical figures. My second edit about the "experience" was pretty much untouched except for a few words which made me really excited that my ideas were "accepted". My last edit was the one about the orientation programs, and although my section was deleted, another member included in another section the concept of orientation preparation for study abroad.

So overall, although my "words" might all not have stayed on the actual article, I must say I am glad to see that my "ideas" are still noticeable in the material. It was very interesting to see what other people liked/dislike. If you would like to go check it out: Study Abroad

No comments: