Saturday, May 5, 2007

Wikipedia Edit PoSt

I recently edited one of the Wikipedia articles regarding the issue of Study Abroad. As I have stated before, this issue is such a large and important topic, especially for college students that make up the majority of study abroad participants. In the article, there is a section on the neccesary steps that one must go through to study abroad, including obtaining a passport and other neccesary documents. All of these requirements are true, yet I believe there are also other "neccesary" steps that should be included in the pre-study abroad departure.

I am taking my lead from the University of Delaware, my current school and home, through which I studied abroad. One of their common practices is for students to go through mandatory orientations that address different issues that they will/might face while abroad. These orientations include possible medical issues because obviously health is of key importance, but also cultural issues which can be just as important. At many of these orientations former students who have studied abroad speak of their experiences and offer some of the best perspectives to those planning to study abroad in the near future. I believe this detail is important for other study abroad programs who might considering implementing such orientation programs.

From a marketing prospective, I believe the existence and publication detailing these orientaitonprograms would prove very beneficial to possible study abroad participants that are somewhat hesitant about the whole process in general. Here is a link to my edit: New Study Abroad Edit

1 comment:

Tricia Lyons said...

After posting about this issue, I went back to the article and realized I was not sigend in when I made the edit, so I therefore immediately deleted the post and re-posted it while signed in.